Re: hp-plugin fails

On Thu 01 Aug 2019 at 16:30:52 +0200, Michael Kesper wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 01.08.19 15:38, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > when I run hp-plugin on my laptop (debian/stretch), it says
> >    driver plugin for HPLIP 3.16.11 already installed ...
> >    (the hplip package version is 3.16.11)
> >
> > if I do that on my desktop (debian/buster), I get:
> >    error: Unable to open /data/home/frenkiel/.hplip/hp-plugin.lock lock file.
> >    (the hplip package version is 3.18.12)
> >
> > sudo hp-plugin gives:
> >    warning: It is not recommended to run 'hp-plugin' in a root mode.
> >
> > Can anybody suggest a fix?
>
> Return that printer and use one that is fully supported by free software.
> Honestly, this is very annoying of HP:
> Cheap ink printer-scanners are totally usable without this,
> laser printer-scanners can only be used to print without this non-free garbage. :(

Recent HP MFDs all provide an AirPrint facility. The printing aspect
is fully supported on buster without anything non-free. I hope this is
welcome news.

It is also probable the devices have an AirScan service. No plugin is
needed to use that.

Bottom line: printing and scanning are fully supported by free software.

--
Brian.