Re: Buster RC 1 upgrade to stable

On Mi, 10 iul 19, 16:04:45, Tom Browder wrote:
> I had to use Buster RC 1 to successfully install Debian on a new laptop
> (from Zareason) since I couldn't get Stretch stable to work.

Just for the archives, the RC1 referred to the Debian Installer itself.
What exactly you installed depends on the image and options selected
during the install.

> Now that Buster is stable, how should I proceed to upgrade to it. So far I
> have not found the official Debian doc that describes the correct way--and
> all I've seen on this list are procedures for those who upgraded to testing
> from Stretch.

Below is applicable if your sources have only 'buster' in it. If you
have 'testing' instead and you want to stay with buster you should not
do anything before checking you don't have any package version from
testing/bullseye.

Then you should change your sources from 'testing' to 'buster' and
update/upgrade as needed.

If you have 'buster' in sources.list:

APT (the package manager) has a new security feature where it will
require some kind of confirmation from you if a repository you have been
using suddenly changes.

In your case buster has changed from testing to stable.

The easiest for you would be to run 'apt update', read the warning
message carefully and confirm if the change is to be expected (somethink
like "'buster' has changed from 'testing' to 'stable'").

There are ways to do this with apt-get as well if you insist (read the
manpage). If you are not explicitly tied to a specific tool now would be
a good time to switch to 'apt update' and 'apt upgrade'
('apt full-upgrade' should not be needed on a pure Debian stable).

Other tools (aptitude at least) might not have the needed interface to
deal with this.

Kind regards,
Andrei
P.S. All above should eventually make it into the FAQ linked in my .sig.