netinst bad display after first screen

   I have downloaded the current netinst and
burned it to a DVD.

   When I boot it, the first screen I see shows
the usual beginning with choices "Graphics Install,"
"Install," "Advanced".

   I choose "Install" and press F10.

   The monitor then shows a row of what look like
tiny screen images at the top, with the rest of
the monitor all black.  Crtl-Alt-F1, etc makes
changes in the tiny images at the top, but the
all-black rest of screen is unchanged.

   At this point, I'm just guessing.  I tried
repeating the process, except that I changed

> linux /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet

> linux /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=normal fb=false --- quiet

and pressing F10.  This gave me an all-black screen,
no tiny row.

   I really hope somebody can tell me what "magic words"
I should be using. (I tried "nomodeset" but that didn't help)