Re: Ping as normal user (Was: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?)

Hi,

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> The other way would be if the archive priority was changed between
> different installs.

This has happened in april 2016 (maybe related to bug 780721 ?)

  "d/control: Increase Priority of libcap2{,-bin} to important"
  https://salsa.debian.org/debian/libcap2/commit/a3f0fbccfa946b6895da1b3521849d04ccf8da0f

and again four months ago

  "d/control: Drop Priority of libcap2"
  https://salsa.debian.org/debian/libcap2/commit/5386335db24bfff5cc85bda69dbcda6ab2d7d20d

(The latter is not yet in the released package's control file.)

So one maintainer already adapted to the new policy rules.

But
  https://salsa.debian.org/debian/iputils/raw/master/debian/control
still has the hunchbacked gesture of recommending an actually necessary
dependency:

  Package: iputils-ping
  Recommends: libcap2-bin
  Package: iputils-arping
  Recommends: libcap2-bin

(I understand that this suffices if your local package management is set
 to automatically install recommendations.
 I also understand that there is a coarse workaround if libcap2 is missing.)

So bug 780721 is still valid and could now be fixed.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas