Re: Ping as normal user (Was: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?)

On Jo, 30 mai 19, 18:43:05, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:08:22AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > I asked on IRC, and got this answer:
> >
> >   The archive (Packages) and individual .debs can disagree on Priority. It's
> >   mostly a field that has no meaning these days.
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure how to interpret that.  Are different mirrors giving
> > out different Packages files with different Priority settings?
>
> Now that you mention it - [1].
> A mirror can override a package priority, that's true.

This would suggest you can get different results depending on mirror
used, which is not the case. The priority is set in the central archive,
which is then mirrored.

> I don't know if http://ftp.debian.org/debian/indices/ is mirrored too,
> along with the usual Release files and *debs. It can explain this
> discrepancy if it's true.
>
> The question is - which Priority goes into the package database on
> package install? That one from the package itself, or the one from the
> mirror?

APT and debootstrap will definitely use the archive view on priorities
when deciding which packages to download and install.

dpkg on the other hand is probably using the information inside the
package (debian/control) for its database, but probably not much else.

This is the most obvious way one could end up with different results.

The other way would be if the archive priority was changed between
different installs.

Kind regards,
Andrei