Inreach mini cannot be found by KVM/Win7 guest

Just got an InReach mini (Garmin GPS USB device).  It seems ok by 'dmesg'.
However [a] when mounted as a USB thumbdrive there doesn't seem to be
anything usefully readable; and [b] when I bring up a Win7 guest under
KVM/QEMU, win7 can't find it.  This is in contrast to my Garmin etrex GPS
device, which connects perfectly in both these ways.

If I take this same device and plug it into a native Win7 system it works
perfectly.

This is on a 64-bit 'buster' system.

Anyone have any clues about this?  Duckduckgo hasn't helped.

Thanks--