Re: Ping as normal user (Was: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?)

On 2019-05-30, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> So the explanation in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780721#10
>
>   iputils-ping, as priority "important", cannot declare a dependency on
>   libcap2-bin, which is priority "optional".
>
> is wrong and in direct contradiction to The Policy.

I think it would be more accurate to call the explanation *caduc* (or
*caduque*) perhaps.

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780721#20
> quotes exactly the above policy paragraph as
>
>   Packages must not depend on packages with lower priority values
>   (excluding build-time dependencies). In order to ensure this, the
>   priorities of one or more packages may need to be adjusted.
>
> which i cannot see there any more.
> The change probably happened in august 2017:
>
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.html#version-4-0-1
>   2.5
>   [...] Packages may now depend on packages with a lower priority. [...]

So it seems the reason invoked above is no longer valid due to a change in policy.

> Last message in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=780721
> is of february 2016.
>

> So this bug could need an update and iputils-ping could now depend on
> libcap2-bin.
>
> As we see in
>   https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/i/iputils/control-320180629-2
> it is not done yet:
>
>   Package: iputils-ping
>   Recommends: libcap2-bin
>

> Have a nice day :)

Ditto.

--
“Decisions are never really made – at best they manage to emerge, from a chaos
of peeves, whims, hallucinations and all around assholery.” – Thomas Pynchon