Re: Ping as normal user (Was: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?)

On 2019-05-29, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> How did you install this system? Because /bin/ping is supposed to
> come with file capabilities such that the user can allow it to do
> what it needs to do (this is part of what 'dpkg-reconfigure
> iputils-ping' restores). So it would be interesting to know how the
> system was installed in case there is a general theme for those who
> never got those capabilities.

There is a bug related to this imbroglio:

(libcap2-bin is recommended but is not a dependancy of iputils-ping,
because "iputils-ping, as priority 'important', cannot declare a
dependency on libcap2-bin, which is priority 'optional'").

--
“Decisions are never really made – at best they manage to emerge, from a chaos
of peeves, whims, hallucinations and all around assholery.” – Thomas Pynchon