Re: A couple things yet on stretch install, amd64 version

Your first email called it "Serial busses of some kind" and you didn't type "at-spi". Contrary to you 2 sentences later, at-spi is indeed for Assistive Technologies, Service Provider Interface, an API for Assistive desktops. So quite possibly you want to keep it around. I would suggest looking at desktop startup to disable it.
Serial Peripheral Interface chips, which was my first cut answer, are present on basically every motherboard, ARM or otherwise. Some even use them for CPU-RAM transfer.

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 11:13 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
On Wednesday 29 May 2019 07:57:32 pm Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Serial Peripheral Interface.

That, Nicholas, isn't how the docs I able to find read, and from which I
copy/pasted the phrasing quoted below.  The at_spi has nothing to do
with an armlike Seriel Peripheral Interface that doesn't exist on any
x86 board in my possession.

This may be something related to or used by brltty. synaptic won't let me
remove it, too many dependencies.

> Could be any number of devices on your
> SPI buses: temp sensors, LCD on the panel, EEPROM, etc. Far as
> disabling it goes, my recollection is that AMDs use CPU throttling
> unless you disable that, for example. I bet that's reading temps from
> the SPI buses. What happens if you stop SPI then? Well, computer
> science can be
> experimental.....
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2019, 6:34 PM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have rebooted quite a few times as I have moved a few things out
> > of /e/rc.local to ~/gene/.trinity/Autostart one at a time &
> > rebooting to test. I looks like mail has stopped but thats happened
> > frequently at my ISP, then they dump 26 msgs into my folder and give
> > the
> > fetchmail/procmail/clamav and spamassassin a nice warmup.
> >
> > I have N-M disabled, spamassassin enabled, fetchmail and mailwatcher
> > started from the Autostart dir, and 181 processes reduced to the low
> > 120's according to htop.
> >
> > One of the useless things still running is some sort of an spi buss,

> > but this motherboard has no such hardware.  I can kill it with htop,
> > but how do I remove it totally. From a seaarch in synaptic, it has
> > nothing to do with Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface.
correction: to do with Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface.
no "nothing", my bad.

> > So whats it good for for me?

I may have plastic eyes but I certainly don't need a braille interface.
So I don't see as its useful for anything I do.

So I still need to stop/disable it. Killed it with htop, we'll see what
else dies. But while htop can see it, its not in /etc/init.d nor in a
systemctl display.  So whats starting it? Enquiring minds want to know.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)