Re: lightweight wifi UI (Was: Insidious systemd)

On Tue, 28 May 2019 12:28:49 -0400 (EDT)
bw <bwtnguy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ah... sorry, here's the culprit, hard depend on systemd
>
> dbus-user-session

It doesn't even have to be hard.  Any association no matter how soft
or distant an app has with GNOME or any of its various parts or
utilities will result in a systemd gotcha.  I discovered this when I
first tested Jessie.  It became more prevalent in Stretch.  I have no
idea about Buster.  That's why now I always do simulated installs first.

Is Debian slowly becoming systemd proprietary?  It would be a great
loss to Linux and its philosophy if true.  But that looks to be the
direction Debian is headed.

Once I suggested on this list when systemd first debuted with Jessie
about choosing an init at install time as an option. It was not well
received.  Many said it couldn't be done or was impractical. My reply
was, if you can change inits AFTER the install completes, why not
BEFORE. The thread died of apathy shortly thereafter with no resolution.