Re: WRITING to NTFS drives

deb wrote:

> I saw this question come up
>
> and it set off bells.
>

> Someone asked what the status of WRITING to NTFS drives was.
>
> That it was not yet supported (?) .
>

> *MY* Assumptions:
>
>   * MIXED NETWORK, with Win, Mac, Linux (EXT4 formatted).
>
>   * many portable 1-5TB drives making the rounds, formatted with NTFS.
>
>   * data loss is unacceptable [to the highest degree that is possible].
>

> I know that I can read (and verify) files just fine from NTFS on Debian 9.8
>
> but [if you have direct experience with this]
>
> is writing to these drives from debian actually safe?

  i have never experienced a problem with writing to
a NTFS file system.

  i use an external drive that has a NTFS file
system on it for backups and as a scratch space
if i need to save something large for a while.

  i also keep all my downloaded *.deb files in
case i need to restore something or want to play
with installs somehow.

  never had any notable signs of files being only
partially written or other things that would make
me think it was unstable or dangerous.

  not that this can't change, but i don't really
worry about it.

  songbird