Re: reboot stuff doesn't start

On Wednesday 29 May 2019 08:20:02 am Brian wrote:

> On Tue 28 May 2019 at 21:47:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 May 2019 03:37:55 pm Brian wrote:
> > > Why do think cron was calling hpfax? Did you set up the job?
> > > (Using fax isn't exactly common these day).

yeah, like going back to the cretatious. I've actually sent one fax in
the last nearly 40 years and I think that was from an amiga. Retired the
last one in 98 after I'd put RH5 on an x86 tower I'd built.

> > It was cron itself that mentioned it in the syslog.
>
> I'd be inclined to track down the cron entry with a view to removing
> it.
Machine has ghosts, I've just spent the last 2 hours greping for it, and
even grepped the syslog for a mention, but haven't found a thing so far.

> > > Very interesting. This needs a bit of thought. Does the same thing
> > > happen if the renaming is to begonia?
> >
> > Interesting thought, lemme test it if I can find it again. Its not
> > actually running now, and its now renamed
> > to /usr/lib/cups/backend/begonia just for my eventual eddification.
>
> Flower power can be effective but I've never thought of you as one of
> the flower children. :)

I needed a good belly laugh, and that was it. :) I have smoked a little
bit of kalipornias sensimia but that was circa 1980, didn't do much for
me, tried some of the local WV hay in 85 but that was like battery acid.
and quit a 2 pack of camels a day cold turkey in the spring of 89.  Me?
A flower child, thats a hoot. :) Alcohol has always been my drug of
choice, but since I was declared DM-II, one Miller64 a day is all.  And
thats been thru the horse so many times there only 2.6% alky left in it.
Dammit.

> [...]
> > >
> > > Starting what?
> >
> > hplip.
>
> HPLIP does not use a service file. Try 'dpkg -l | grep hp' and purge
> any obvious HPLIP packages. I don't know if this will solve any of
> your issues but if you are not using an HP printer on that machine it
> should not do any harm.

purging hplip, that will take some other stuff with it, nope.
root@coyote:etc$ apt remove hplip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  hplip-data libgenders0 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libqmi-glib5
libqmi-proxy libsane-hpaio python3-pexpect python3-pil
python3-ptyprocess python3-renderpm python3-reportlab
  python3-reportlab-accel
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  hplip printer-driver-postscript-hp
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1,440 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

Then after looking at the list, it looks safe so I did remove it.  We'll
see in due time I guess.

offtopic, but

I've an old brother HL-2140 that might use it if cups were configured to,
but I've got brothers own drivers installed. Someday, if it ever wears
out, I'll get the next one up so it can do duplex.  Their $110 laser.
This one does around 10 to 15 reams of paper on one toner, and is on its
4th toner.  Its unbreakable, sitting there spitting out paper at 19 ppm.
I have it rigged so when drivewire is running, giving me a  network like
connection to a trs80 color computer 3 in the basement so I can print my
coding efforts, and even given the lag of the file transfer up to this
machine where ts handed off to cups for printing, its nearly 20x faster
that than any other printer I've ever had connected to the coco. Most of
them have been daisy wheels. Good printers, one of them is a xerox
1650-ro, fastest daisy ever made at 40 cps, but no ribbons left on the
planet that don't shatter with the first hammer strike.

Take care Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)