Re: Insidious systemd

Hello,

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:16:27PM +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2019-05-27, Patrick Bartek <patrick.bartek@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Needing to convert this box from wired ethernet to wireless, I searched
> > for a suitable network manager and wicd looked good:  No desktop
> > environment dependencies (I use a window manager Openbox and single
> > lxpanel), compatibility with Openbox, etc.  Imagine my surprise when
> > during the simulated install (I always check), I discovered systemd
> > init was set to replace sysvinit.  I had converted Stretch to the
> > latter during its install last year, but left the systemd libraries.

[…]

> Are you trolling? You need to talk to the maintainers of wicd and ask
> them why there is a systemd dependency.

Before bothering developers/maintainers, it would be best to do what
'bw' did elsewhere in this thread and demonstrate that it's most
likely to be because OP is allowing apt to install recommends, and
wicd recommends gksu, which depends on systemd.

OP does claim that their apt already is configured to not install
recommends, but another poster demonstrated that when they forcibly
disable recommends their apt does not try to install gksu, whereas
OP's does. So clarification is pending from OP on this matter.

The phrasing of the question has I think led to some unfortunate
diversions.

Cheers,
Andy