Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?)

On 28.05.19 08:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 27 May 2019 11:18:49 pm Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:
> > Your version (1.14.6-2) of network-manager appears to be out of date.
> > The following newer release(s) are available in the Debian archive:
> >   experimental: 1.18.0-1
> > Please try to verify if the bug you are about to report is already
> > addressed by these releases.  Do you still want to file a report
> > [y|N|q|?]?
>
> And this exposes something in debian's policy I object to, as strenuously
> as I can. A newer version may well fix the bug, but its never given to
> the users until they upgrade to the next release, and that brings a
> never shrinking list of new bugs.

Gene, you're just too shy and retiring. In such a case, if experimental
is not your cup of tea, why not conclude "It needs to be fixed in stable.",
and hit 'y' to still file a report. After all, until it's backported to
stable, it's still an outstanding bug.

That said, one could upgrade just that one package, and try it out. If
it is fixed, you're on a winner then and there. "Fixed" beats
"reported", as you can get on with the next issue.

Erik