Re: IPV6 hosts file (was: Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?))

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 05:06:24PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> Thats fine, shows the loop local stuff, but how does one determine the
> ipv6 address for picnc.coyote.den for instance. I think it somehow
> related to picnc's mac address, but thats just a WAG.

There's not THE ip address. A host can have (and actually typically
has, under IPv6) several addresses.

That said, what you're talking about is probably the link local address [1],
which under IPv6 is derived from the MAC address, to have some guarantee
of uniqueness.

Since under IPv6 a host can announce its address and the routers can
propagate this, the schema Just Works (TM) without central instances
to dole out addresses à la DHCP.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

-- tomás