Re: IPV6 hosts file (was: Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?))

On Monday 27 May 2019 08:58:14 am rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, May 27, 2019 12:41:36 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 May 2019 10:09:49 pm Andy Smith wrote:
>
> <nothing quoted from Andy Smith, just left there as a reference to
> "you", below>
>
> > You are determined to exterminate any and all users of a hosts file,
> > staticly defined network. Its ideal for small home networks.
>
> Hmm, that's interesting -- is there an analog to or replacement for
> the hosts file on ipv6?

According to the default comments in that file, yes. But easy to read and
understand docs on how to actually do it are somewhat hidden on the
machine or on the net.

> Aside / background: AFAIK, I am not using IPV6 on either my Wheezy or
> Jessie system, but, I haven't really transitioned to the Jessie system
> as my everyday machine -- I don't really "surf the net" there, but
> instead tend to search for specific technically oriented pages related
> to the (development) work I'm trying to do on that Jessie system -- I
> don't notice much advertising -- it's probably because of the pages I
> view.

yup, been known to back out of such sites that "have an ax to sharpen" in
5 secs or less myself.  Usually its an invitation to subscribe for
around $80 a seat/year.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)