rebooted again, stretch losing keyboard but keyboard and batteries in it ae good

On Saturday 25 May 2019 11:28:58 am Tom H wrote:

> Off-list...
>
> > link/ether 00:1f:c6:62:fc:bb brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff <--ipv6 crap.
>
> This isn't related to ipv6.
>
> "00:1f:c6:62:fc:bb" is the NIC's MAC address.
>
> "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff" is the NIC's hardware broadcast address.
>
> ifconfig doesn't expose this but ip does. You can change it with "ip
> link set dev ethX broadcast aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" but it'll break ARP
> (AFAIK).
>
> Your "*.disable_ipv6 = 1" sysctl settings'll disable ipv6, if you're
> not using NM or systemd-networkd. They only respect their own on/off
> ipv6 settings (in fact, I'm not sure that you can disable ipv6
> completely with systemd-networkd; you have to have a link-local ipv6
> address no matter what).
>
> Regarding some other things in the thread.
>
> There are two ipv6 variables that can be set to "1" on the kernel
> cmdline, "ipv6.disable_ipv6" and "ipv6.disable".
>
> "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" disables ipv6 addresses but allows the the
> kernel to enable the ipv6 stack/
>
> "ipv6.disable=1" disables ipv6 completely and some applications'll
> fail in obvious or non-obvious ways.
>
> With "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1", "/proc/sys/net/ipv6" exists.
>
> With "ipv6.disable=1", "/proc/sys/net/ipv6" doesn't exist.

Thanks, good info, I'll relay to the amanda list.

Unforch, and this machine has been rebooted by hpfax several times since
I put all that in /e/sysctl.conf. And a cat of the dozen or so subdirs
in /proc/sys/net/ipv6 has all the disable-ipv6's set to 1 right now.

Can you explain this? Looks like it worked, but if configure is checking
that, its not doing as it should. I still see a yes go by when it checks
for ipv6 connectivity.

And I just had to reboot, the keyboard died, but its been swapped and the
batteries are brand new. But the mouse is still alive.

I'm stumped.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)