Re: Debian Programming languages

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 08:47:26PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2019 20:28:04 +0200
> "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Glenn English wrote:
> > > LISP was the first high level language I
> > > learned. Thought I was going to die...
> >
> > Yeah. Why ain't there no Debian package with Guile ?
> >   https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/
> >

> geda-gschem and related electronics tools rely on Guile. I have Guile
> libraries 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 installed, and they increase in size from
> 2.6MB to 11.8MB to 45MB. So something must still be going on...

Guile [1] has been seeing a renaissance for a couple of years now. The
last release (2.9.2 beta [2], leading to 3.0) is just two days old, and
is adding native compilation for architectures beyond X86_64.

A very interesting (and currently quite active) project written in Guile
is GNU Guix [3], a different kind of package manager (inspired by NixOS).

So Guile is alive and kicking :-)

Cheers

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/news/gnu-guile-292-beta-released.html