Re: Debian Programming languages

On 5/24/19 11:19 PM, Christian Groessler wrote:
> On 5/24/19 10:03 PM, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm typically referring to perl as a "write-only" language. :-)
>>>
>>> But don't get me wrong, I like it...
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> chris
>>>
>> That is not true. The freedom to write unreadable code doesn't mean that
>> the language is bad.
>

> I guess you didn't notice the smiley in my message...
>
> I'm sometimes having hmm.. let's say "problems" ... understanding what I
> had written ~10yrs ago. Typically regexp-related. That's not a problem
> of the language, but a problem in my understanding as I don't use perl
> on a day-to-day basis.
>
> I stated "I like it", and that's true. I dislike python on the other
> hand...
>
> regards,
> chris

I did notice the smiley. But the jokes that perl is unreadable, looks
like line noise, write only, and so on, are repeated way too often and
decline Perl's reputation.

Well, the problem you described, isn't the problem of the language :)
Perl is easy to use and write condensed code, so many people abuse it
and write messy code.
Regexps can be also written in pretty clean multiline format with
comments should one want it.

So I basically came here to say that Perl is cool! :)

Best regards,
Alex