Re: What to buy for Buster?

On 5/23/19 8:17 AM, Erik Josefsson wrote:
Thanks all for feedback, help and answers to many of my questions, but I feel my available time and my skills put together won't meet the threshold for being able to contribute to Debian in any meaningful way for another year or two.

I'll have to go back to piggybacking, as I have done for decades.

As such a piggyback, I'd anyway like to ask if anyone would know a reasonably powerful second hand stationary office computer that can run a Debian Buster Pure Blend from a net install? No need for wireless, I will just connect with ethernet cable.

I don't know more than that I should avoid Nvidia.

In theory, since it is a Pure Blend, I would then never have to bother you again :-)

I mean, I would know for certain that there is nothing wrong with the computer, but rather with the computeur.

I thought that maybe I would master the Teres-I and its box.redpill.dk promise, but the combo of wireless- and DNS-issues is too steep.

Next life maybe.

Best regards.

//Erik

If you get a major brand computer with 64-bit Intel Core technology (ca. 2006) or newer, Debian should run on it.

If reliability is important to you, run Debian Stretch. If you want a desktop, use Xfce. These have the best support.

For laptops, I prefer Dell -- both for the Service Tag database and for the detailed service manuals. The latter are especially important when you want to work on the hardware.

For desktops and servers, I have traditionally built mine from general-purpose parts (e.g. ATX cases, power supplies, and motherboards). The up-side is that I can mix, match, and upgrade parts as I please. The down-side is higher initial cost compared to mass-produced computers with identical processor, memory, and HDD specifications (but lesser expansion specifications). That said, my newest server is a used Dell PowerEdge T30/ Xeon E3-1225v5 -- two internal 3.5" drive bays is enough, and the price much better than building from parts.

David