Re: What to buy for Buster?

On Thu, 2019-05-23 at 19:24 +0000, Erik Josefsson wrote:
> On 5/23/19 4:59 PM, Joe wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:17:15 +0000
> > Erik Josefsson <erik.hjalmar.josefsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks all for feedback, help and answers to many of my
> > > questions,
> > > but I feel my available time and my skills put together won't
> > > meet
> > > the threshold for being able to contribute to Debian in any
> > > meaningful way for another year or two.
> > >
> > > I'll have to go back to piggybacking, as I have done for decades.
> > >
> > > As such a piggyback, I'd anyway like to ask if anyone would know
> > > reasonably powerful second hand stationary office computer that
> > > can
> > > run a Debian Buster Pure Blend from a net install? No need for
> > > wireless, I will just connect with ethernet cable.

Buster runs well on both my Dell's, one, a twin core 2008 with 4gb ram
is ideal for pottering about on. Does all the office stuff.
The other a 2012 Dell (precision T1650 if you want to compare specs)
Intel® Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz × 8 with 16gb ram, root on solid state and home on hard drives, runs all the steam and GoG games I throw at it too, often with better performance than under windows. Also streams them to twitch perfectly so plenty of spare performance.

Both bought second hand, the first you can get for around £30 or so
second hand. The other maybe around £600 these days.

> > > I don't know more than that I should avoid Nvidia.

Why? Both of these have Nvidia cards and I have never had an
insurmountable problem yet and they have both been running Buster for
over two years.

> > Always difficult to advise, so many computers, so few recent ones
> > listed as Linux-compatible. All I can offer is that I've never had
> > problems with HP business desktops,
>
> Thanks a million! I'm not a gamer, would this machine be OK you
> think?
>
> https://www.bluecity.se/hp-compaq-8200-elite-sff-2-50ghz-250gb-hdd-windows-10-8gb-ram-svart-50074
>
> It's on the shelf for sale just down town, so I could buy it
> tomorrow!

Don't know how that prices in ££'s but the spec seems fine for Buster.