Re: What to buy for Buster?

On 5/23/19 4:59 PM, Joe wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:17:15 +0000
Erik Josefsson <erik.hjalmar.josefsson@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks all for feedback, help and answers to many of my questions,
but I feel my available time and my skills put together won't meet
the threshold for being able to contribute to Debian in any
meaningful way for another year or two.

I'll have to go back to piggybacking, as I have done for decades.

As such a piggyback, I'd anyway like to ask if anyone would know a
reasonably powerful second hand stationary office computer that can
run a Debian Buster Pure Blend from a net install? No need for
wireless, I will just connect with ethernet cable.
Reasonably powerful? Is this 'games' powerful or 'office' powerful?
Most business computers are bought for size, quietness and cost, not raw
power. Even servers don't need to be particularly powerful unless they
run MS operating systems and/or multiple VMs. The most powerful
ex-office machines will be MS servers, but they are generally large and
noisy and produce a fair bit of heat. Whatever you buy, throw away the
hard drive and buy new.

I don't know more than that I should avoid Nvidia.

In theory, since it is a Pure Blend, I would then never have to
bother you again :-)

I mean, I would know for certain that there is nothing wrong with the
computer, but rather with the computeur.

I thought that maybe I would master the Teres-I and its
box.redpill.dk promise, but the combo of wireless- and DNS-issues is
too steep.

Next life maybe.

Always difficult to advise, so many computers, so few recent ones
listed as Linux-compatible. All I can offer is that I've never had
problems with HP business desktops,

Thanks a million! I'm not a gamer, would this machine be OK you think?

https://www.bluecity.se/hp-compaq-8200-elite-sff-2-50ghz-250gb-hdd-windows-10-8gb-ram-svart-50074

It's on the shelf for sale just down town, so I could buy it tomorrow!

  or Acer portables. But then, I
don't play games (beyond solitaire) so I'm not looking for blazing fast
graphics. Other people swear by Dell, but I've never used one and I've
heard a few stories about them.

Something else you might consider is a decent motherboard, such as
Gigabyte, preferably bundled with RAM and CPU to avoid compatibility
problems. With a new power supply and hard drive (SSD prices are
falling quickly at the moment), an old case can be revived, and most of
us have one or two of those.

Great advice, thanks again!

//Erik