Re: Firefox ESR 60.6.2+ still unavailable for me

On 5/22/19, Guilherme Vieira <super.driver.512@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> But as you can see there's still no update for firefox-esr, which is still
> at version 60.6.1:
>
> $ apt show firefox-esr
> Package: firefox-esr
> Version: 60.6.1esr-1~deb9u1

Hi back! Greg's idea sounds good there (about update being commented out).

Am writing to say: I use that "show", well, my brain defaults to
"apt-cache show" for looking at descriptions mostly. Once in a while,
I'll use "show" to see if it includes a home website or potential
contact info, maybe..

I also use "apt-cache policy". I use that one for taking a quick peek
at whether or not something's installed. It has the added benefit of
referencing a package's upgrade [standing]:

$ apt-cache policy firefox-esr
firefox-esr:
  Installed: 60.6.2esr-1
  Candidate: 60.6.3esr-1

There are a couple other lines that go with that I need to personally
research to understand their value. They obviously wouldn't be there
if they weren't of potential importance at some point.

"apt-cache policy" was something I'd seen in the past but it didn't
stick in mind until I saw it repeated a few times here on Debian-User.
It's in use probably at least every other day ever since now. In *my*
case, it just makes it so easy to quickly visually compare those
numbers because of how they're stacked there.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *