Re: Can't Connect to Secure Wireless Network

On 5/21/19, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> I'm on a university campus; we have a secure network ("ACUsecure") to
> which I'm trying to connect. Mac laptops and Windows laptops have no
> problem. You connect to the network, and a pop-up appears asking for the
> user's "campus" username/password, and connection is made.
>
> On my Debian sid laptop, using Gnome or Cinnamon as my DE (and not
> knowing how to connect via console-only), I can click on the Network
> Settings and get to the list of networks, and see "ACUsecure". I can try
> to connect, and I get prompted for a username/password. But the
> connection never succeeds.
>
> I've involved our network guru on campus; he's not very familiar with
> Debian, but he spent an hour looking over things. From his side of the
> network, it looks like I'm getting validated, but from the laptop, I've
> found logs that say authentication failure. He's tried his credentials
> also, in various forms. He believes we've got the settings right on Debian:
>

> WPA&WPA2 Enterprise
>
> Protected EAP (PEAP)
>
> Anonymous identity blank
>
> CA cert None
>
> No CA cert required
>
> Inner auth MSCHAPv2
>
> username
>
> password
>

> When I try to follow the journalctl entries from first trying to switch
> to ACUsecure until I cancel the pop-up asking again for creds, I get this:
>
> http://goshen.acu.edu/westk/ACU-INTERNAL-USE/wireless.txt (IPs replaced
> by "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd"; yeah, just feel-good security on my part, I know,
> but it helps a little)
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not quite grasping what package you're using to attempt this so my
apologies in advance if you're using...

Wicd? Have you tried that yet? I just peeked at mine. There IS a spot
there for adding a username and password. I'd never used it so I had
to double-check.

--
Cindy-Sue Causey
Backyard Pishing (Very active private birding adventure)

* runs with birdseed *