Re: got a new problem with heyu

On Tuesday 21 May 2019 05:13:45 am Curt wrote:

> On 2019-05-21, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > I have no clue what brltty is, its new  to me.  Whats going on?
>
> https://brltty.app/
>
> There's some kind of conflict of interest between the kernel and
> brltty, the latter of which is claiming the device.
>
> If you're not visually impaired, uninstalling the brltty package
> might be a fix.
>
> All gleaned from the thread below (which looks analogous to your
> problem):
>
> https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/520714-Bug-handling-USB-RS2
>32-Serial-cable

yup, same nail, same hammer, same log output. Since this reduces the
ability of a site impaired user to use these adapter devices, it could
be construed as discriminatory in a court of law. The way I see it, this
can be dumped in brltty's from yard with instructions to fix it, asap.

I'm not blind although I do have plastic eyes, so I don't have a clue why
it was even being ran on my machine.  It would have saved me several
hours, but then there would not be yet another confirmation that brltty
is indeed broken.

There is also a machine killer bug in hplip, the module hpfax, which can
kill the usb stuff if it doesn't have anything to do when cron awakens
it to send a fax. renaming the binary to hpfox so cron can't find it is
the first fix,  So thats another buglet to be fixed. Both of these need
to be filed and fixed before an official buster respin.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)