Re: hp inkjet printer

On Tue 21 May 2019 at 10:11:30 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:

> Le 20/05/2019 à 20:30, Brian a écrit :
> > On Mon 20 May 2019 at 17:40:18 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:
> >
> >> there is a useful page on the HP website about HPLIP and all supported
> >> HP printers:
> >>  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index
> >
> > This page is very useful for a legacy printer, which would require
> > HPLIP. A modern printer (which one presumes steef intends to purchase),
> > does not need HPLIP. Unfortunately, users still reach for a driver for
> > a recent HP printer - even though it is completely unnecessary. It is
> > will probably be ages before users catch on and clutching a blanket for
> > setting up printing disappears.
> >

> I would agree with you Brian, that a driver is unnecessary with a modern
> print-only network printer, but I suppose a driver would be appropriate
> if you prefer to use a USB cable or if the "printer" is a
> printer+scanner combo and you want to be able to scan? :-)

A USB-connected  modern printer is likely not to be a problem; it should
be capable of IPP-over-USB, for which Debian has the ippusbxd package.
However, a user needs to be aware that using ippusbxd with an all-in-one
renders scanning inoperable.

You are correct regarding scanning. This process still requires a driver
from the vendor, but there are plans to develop driverless scanning for
Linux during the coming year. Actually, depending on the device, it is
possible to do it now.

--
Brian.