Re: Low-Cost Tablet PC suitable for Debian

On Mi, 12 dec 18, 13:00:32, Michelle Konzack wrote:

Hi Michelle,

> Forgotten one thing:
>
> It can be also an Open-Frame PanelPC, because I have BIG LiPoly cells
> of 6Ah and 12Ah availlable and can also build my own housing.
>
> Adv.:    I have Serial Ports, more USB, can have an attached heating
>          element... Direct CD/DVD support...
>
> DisAdv.: Need external USB/Serial GSM/3G Modem and mostly USB-Wifi
>          adapter.  Higher Power consumption, but it does not realy
>          matter, because I have everywhere 24V DC availlable from
>          Solar- and Windenergy...
>
> So I need generally:
>
> 1)  2-4 USB ports
> 2)  Serial RS232/485 port
> 3)  Ethernet

Tablets with such a collection of ports are unusual (to say the least).

> 4)  Wifi

This is typically included, otherwise it's not much use.

> 5)  GSM/3G
> 6)  Touchscreen
> 7)  Possibel external keyboard
> 8)  Mouse/Trackball

Chromebooks and Chrome OS tablets could fulfill some of your
requirements. Installing Debian on the ones with Intel processors should
be pretty straightforward if you don't mind the IME.

You might also be interested in the upcoming PineTab.
https://www.pine64.org/pinetab

The Allwinner A64 is already reasonably well supported in Debian's
kernel and more features are (expected to be) mainlined in 5.1 (5.2).

That's assuming you don't want to run the ancient BSP kernel and
proprietary drivers.

Hope this helps,
Andrei