Re: please do *never* use GitHub for free software, was Re: Salsa vs Github

Hi,

>Why do these restrictions exist?  The reason most social media services
>use an
>age limit of 13 or over is in part because of a law in the USA. The
>COPPA law
>or Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act states that any
>organisations or
>people operating online services (including social media services) are
>not
>allowed to collect the personal information of anyone under the age of
>13
> without parental permission.

Thanks for the explanations, although all of them are known.

You (and others elaborating on unrelated legal explanations) might have missed that I spent weeks of discussion with GitHub's legal department on that, and they explicitly stated the one reason why they have to adhere to COPPA (see previous mail).

-nik