Re: Install backport during netinstall installation process

On 2019-05-17, Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> wrote:
> On 16/05/19, Curt (curty@free.fr) wrote:
>> On 2019-05-16, Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Consequently I'd be grateful to know if:
>> >
>> > * it is possible to somehow install the backport kernel and dependencies
>> >   during the netinstall process
>> >   (apt-get install doesn't seem available on the virtual terminals)
>>
>> I guess preseeding is one way of doing it (gleaned from a rapid internet
>> search):
>>
>> https://blog.raymond.burkholder.net/index.php?/archives/899-Debian-Preseed-Backport-Kernel.html
>
> That is very helpful, Curt. Thanks a lot.

All the experts are on vacation, apparently, but I think a
less-involved, feasible method would be to use the netinstall iso
normally but after grub installation (and *before reboot*), from a
virtual terminal, 'chroot' into /target and install the backported
kernel deb manually with 'dpkg -i' (you could mount a thumb drive
containing the downloaded kernel or wget the kernel from the appropriate
repository).

I'm sure someone here can offer you the exact details of how to do that.

Good luck.

--
“When he was dry, he believed it was alcohol he needed, but when he had a few
drinks in him, he knew it was something else, possibly a woman; and when he had