Re: Age Ranges for contributors was: Salsa vs Github

On 16/05/2019 20:58, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> A bit of searching shows that some international legislation seems to be
> responsible for the age restrictions.
>
> This project cites the GDPR:
>
> https://github.com/hypothesis/product-backlog/issues/561
>
> GitHub's ToS says an account holder must be at least 13 and gives US law
> as the reason in section B(3):
>
> https://help.github.com/en/articles/github-terms-of-service
>
> And finally, is GitHub's statement on child labor giving UK law as one
> of the reasons:
>
> https://help.github.com/en/articles/github-statement-against-modern-slavery-and-child-labor
>
> Of course, IANAL, etc., but the last two links do shed some light on the
> issue for me after a quick glance.
>
> - Nate

I can fully understand the reasoning behind all this.

Lets just carry on as we are doing,  Our code of conduct covers
everything, helps keep people safe and links to mechanisms to report
inappropriate contact.

I will see at some point if I can help put together some information
for non techy people who work with different age groups (well contribute
to this) due to lack of engagement from the community safety team, it is
less priority now.  I will ask at the e-safety seminar in a few weeks.
As  to me if practitioners are able to support young people we benefit
from this.

Thank you to everyone for their help on this issue,

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net