Re: Problem: Slow Boot -- Hibernation?

On 2019-05-14, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> First off, I am running Debian Buster/Sid (that's what it
> says!) and the kernel is 4.19.0-4-686-pae. 32 bit system,
> 4 Gig of memory (3.xx usable!), IDE disks.
>
> My boots are getting slower and slower. I'll start from the top.
>
> The first thing that happens is I get a message
>
> 	Resuming from hibernation

> I have never put my system in hibernation! It seems to just
> sit there for several minutes with no disk access and no
> messages. Then it continues on. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it would make a big difference to eliminate it, but it
> would get rid of one message!

 systemd-analyze blame
 systemd-analyze critical-chain

might provide instructive info (if you're using systemd, that is). You
don't have to be root, either.

Removing the "quiet" parameter from your grubby line to witness the
traffic jam in real time might also be edifying (you can do this on the
fly, as it were, by using the arrow keys to select the appropriate menu
entry, then pressing 'e' for edit and removing the word 'quiet', which I
believe sits quietly somewhere near the end of the string).

--
“When he was dry, he believed it was alcohol he needed, but when he had a few
drinks in him, he knew it was something else, possibly a woman; and when he had