No sound

I have no sound at all. By starting e.g. VLC or Audacity with a *.wav file I can see this executed, in Audacity also the wave form, but nothing from the loudspeaker.

Likely, this is a very basic error, but I have not found the solution yet.

In an effort to fix the error I upgraded my Debian Stretch into Debian Testing (ver. 10), but this did not solve the issue. I am running Mate on a laptop, HP Pavilion dv4-1199eo, which in excess of this issue is working very fine, despite its age.

Another try was according to an article "https://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge", and by means of the program mate-volume-control I can see it has been installed correctly. I find the real card, HDA Intel, as well as the imaginary Loopback unit with the later as the default one, all according to the settings in /home/xxx/.asoundrc. But this measure did not get my sound back neither.

Inxi is telling that the sound card, Device-1, is Intel 82801I HD Audio, and the driver: snd_hda_intel.

Another indication that something fundamental is lacking is that the computer has a touch switch, so I can switch on or off the loudspeaker. The state is indicated with a red light (off) or a blue one (on), but now this light is not shining at all.

Finally, I made a test run into MS Windows to check, and from there I got sound as expected, so we can assume the hardware, the card and the loudspeaker, is functioning correctly. Also the button light was working as expected.

Hope someone has a hint of what is lacking.

Kaj