Re: intermittent or not? "Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'"

On 5/12/2019 3:46 AM, Erik Josefsson wrote:
> I have successfully put the [5 May Teres image] on three SD cards and
> all is fine (well, as far as that the exploration of the box-add-gui
> option goes), except that it seems only one of the SD cards can
> sometimes connect to deb.debian.org when I do sudo apt update.
>
> The other two say "Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'", every time i try.
>
> The old hp laptop that is about to break down does sudo apt update
> without complaining.
>
> The three SD cards should be identical.
>
> Can there be a limit on the server deb.debian.org on how many times I
> can ask it for data?

Could be but looks to me like it is a network issue on your end.

> Can there be a limit on my wifi router?

Could be, did you modify the router configuration?

> Are the SD cards not identical after all? If not, where do I look for a
> difference that could explain the difference between how they work when
> doing apt update?

How do you know/insure that they are identical and is one of the card
working properly?
If no, focus on one card first then clone it! :)

Look in '/etc/resolf.conf'.

> Server response looks like this:
>
> debian@box:~$ sudo apt update
> Err:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
>   Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'
> Err:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease
>   Could not resolve 'deb.debian.org'
> Err:3 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
>   Could not resolve 'security.debian.org'
>
> The same command of course works perfectly fine when I connect the Teres
> laptop directly to the internet with an ethernet cable (through USB).

If bypassing your wireless router works, some hints to look at:
- Is the issue manifesting itself through wired and wireless connection?
- Does rebooting the router helps?
- What "DNS" addresses is the router dishing out to clients?
- Is the router getting DNS addresses from upstream (ISP ...)?

- Resetting your router to factory defaults (after the reset try  with a
cable to test that everything is working as it should, then work from
there)?

--
John Doe