Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On Sat, 11 May 2019 20:41:04 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 11 May 2019 at 13:26:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 11 May 2019 11:42:04 am Brian wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > You are in a bad way. I wouldn't even wish that on those users
> > > who see -user as a Windows support list. :)
> >
> > FWIW Brian, i did finally get that "W" box to work this morning. Up
> > to now clicking on the Powershell link did nothing, but this
> > morning it asked me for my usernme and passwd, and from that shell
> > everything worked. I even downloaded and installed the software
> > needed to run the vna app, and it all Just Worked.  I have no clue
> > why it was so obstreperous prior to this morning. So theoreticly I
> > won't be asking for windows support again. For those that did try
> > to help, it appears that "run as administrator" is no longer part
> > of windows 10 home edition, but PowerShell seems to be the magic
> > twanger now. Again, many thanks to those that did hold their nose
> > and try to help. It was appreciated.
>
> -user is described as "Community assistance and support for Debian
> users.", so it looks like a user has carte blanche to post what he
> wants; it depends what is meant by "Debian users". I am a Debian user
> and am having problems with my mobile phone. Should I seek help here?

If you have reason to believe that one of us can help you, why not? But
I think the subject of other OSes is a little less OT than most
subjects. We're generally not rabid Linux bigots here, and I'm sure I'm
not the only one to walk the dark path occasionally, though less so now
than in the past.

> Glad you sorted your issue - really. But one hopes that most users
> appreciate that Debian-based questions are the practical focus on
> this list and do not abuse its purpose, as spammers do.

My viewpoint, as you know as you've almost quoted me, is that if there
is no real abuse, then one Debian user is entitled to ask if the other
Debian users here have the knowledge to help in something OT. If they
don't, it dies there. If they do, it usually runs its course in a few
posts, and there's something in the archive that might help someone
else one day.

This is considered a high-volume group, at least by modern standards,
but it's not as if we have to scroll through pages of OT stuff to find
one post about Debian. *That* would be abuse. I would also think we
would be a bit more generous to long-established posters than we would
towards someone who made his first post here to ask something OT.

--
Joe