Re: Is it possible to install Debian in such a case.

On Saturday 11 May 2019 11:42:04 am Brian wrote:

> On Fri 10 May 2019 at 13:20:39 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri 10 May 2019 at 16:28:09 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> > > I am not sure An Liu is asking for help with installing Red Hat.
> >
> > I understand that. But, because of the earlier post that I mentioned
> > before, https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/05/msg00032.html
> > and the thread where you commented on an overlooked paragraph in
> > https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_install_sid
> >_.28unstable.29_with_DebianInstaller.3F I took a look at this page to
> > see if the two ideas were related. That led me nowhere, but further
> > up this page I did see:
> >
> > Q: How to install with boot floppies + netinst.iso mounted as a loop
> > device in the ramdisk from a ext2 partition?
>
> "boot floppies"; that's a blast from the past!
>
> > A: You can boot the installer directly from a hard disk using LILO
> > or GRUB, and the *hd-media initrd* will find your netinst.iso. See
> > the DebianInstall for details.
>
> Now augmented to be more useful (hopefully).
>
> > which takes you up to the DebianInstall page itself. If there were
> > any details here about that Q&A, they seem to have gone. The closest
> > approach to an answer would be Debootstrap, but that has nothing to
> > do with the netinst.iso.
>
> I found nothing on the DebianInstall page either and, like you, don't
> consider debootstrap comes into it.
>
> > But it does seem that a recipe to do what's promised by the Q&A
> > would answer this thread's OP: "Install Debian from Grub+ISO".
> > I think Greg's reference is the closest approach, but again it
> > involves debootstrap rather than the d-i. The Q&A implies that
> > you can jump from Grub into the netinst.iso. The least obvious
> > part is the *hd-media initrd* referred to above. What and where?
>
> Although it is not abundantly clear, I think An Liu was after a way of
> booting a netinst or DVD-1 image using GRUB's loopback device. This
> is, as has been said a few times in this thread, not possible using
> the initrds of those images.
>
> Quite a few people have asked for the loop module to be added to d-i's
> initrd and have even provided patches. Up to now the d-i team have not
> provided this facility. loopback with GRUB can be done if the hd-media
> initrd is used with the d-i kernel, but it can be a bit fraught.
>
> > My interest in this stems from a Laptop on which you are blind until
> > the kernel loads (ie text pours down the screen). No boot selection
> > menu, no CMOS screens, no Grub screens.
>
> You are in a bad way. I wouldn't even wish that on those users who see
> -user as a Windows support list. :)

FWIW Brian, i did finally get that "W" box to work this morning. Up to
now clicking on the Powershell link did nothing, but this morning it
asked me for my usernme and passwd, and from that shell everything
worked. I even downloaded and installed the software needed to run the
vna app, and it all Just Worked.  I have no clue why it was so
obstreperous prior to this morning. So theoreticly I won't be asking for
windows support again. For those that did try to help, it appears
that "run as administrator" is no longer part of windows 10 home
edition, but PowerShell seems to be the magic twanger now. Again, many
thanks to those that did hold their nose and try to help. It was
appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)