A Ghost in the Computer

Perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for this problem but the Debian List has been an invaluable resource over the years. I happen to be a Chemist and although I've been using computers in my work since the 1960's, I am not a computer person, only a user.

I am running Debian Stretch on my main computer. I have an AMDFX-8320 Eight-Core Processor on a ASUS MSAR2.0 Moptherboard and 8GB of running XFCE4. I an encountering a rather odd problem for which I have no explanation.

If I have more that three or four apps open at one time, all of the non-active windows will pop open at random and predictable times with the result that no one window will be useable, unless I close every app that's open.

This performance is rather annoying and rather disruptive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.          Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net        Stochastic and multivariate