Re: config question re ff history etc

On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2019 12:51:24 pm Curt wrote:
>
>> On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>> > Greetings all;
>> >
>> > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a
>> > wheezy install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously
>> > the stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy
>> > from the wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
>>
>> I believe you need the following *two* files:
>>
>>  key4.db
>>  logins.json
>>
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.

The info was gleefully plagiarized and happily lifted (which means the
same thing, I think) from here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

A post concerning the eternal old to new version conundrum:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1210910

 If you have new passwords in your profile, this will not work.

 In the new profile, remove the password files;
 key3.db [v58+] key4.db and  logins.json : These are the Password files.

 Now Copy those same files from the old profile.
 This must be done with Firefox Closed.

> key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I might
> want is one of these two:

> this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
> /home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on this
> drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do a thing,
> and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a lot since
> wheezy.

> So I guess I'll have to shutdown, swap cables to make sdb into sda , boot
> wheezy and see if I can con it into printing all that stuff,  I need my
> bookmarks-toolbar to make it complete too.  Sigh. Tomorrows project, its
> about time to go scare a couple pork chops to death with a hot skillet.
>
> Thanks.

Maybe this python script could be of help eventually, if all else fails:

https://github.com/unode/firefox_decrypt

Of course, you must provide your master password (if you have
one) and the *profile* from which to decrypt the logins.

--
Mrs Hessler, the teacher, considered me her employee, and I played along with
this to keep the frown off that somewhat shapeless face she had crowned with an