Re: Help tracking down a random beep

On Thu 09 May 2019 at 20:46:34 (+0200), Jan Claeys wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 09:56 +0000, Curt wrote:
> > In the event there is no functional motherboard speaker, I guess it
> > cannot be a BIOS alarm of any kind.
>
> Some on-board audio chips are wired up so that they can emulate old
> school IBM PC compatible motherboard speakers/buzzers.

>From the log¹ for my Dell D430 laptop:

"2010-04-23 One of the Dell chargers started to beep very quietly to
itself. Although it was powered, the green light was out. Switching it
on would make the green light come on for a few seconds, then it would

It was one of those sledge-shaped chargers with the peculiar
backward-facing figure-8 plug on its cord; the IT dept
replaced it. Four years later, the last battery gave out,
and the charging circuitry too. Now the laptop only runs on
a charger, and needs a monitor too because the screen blanks
itself most of the time.

¹ typed by me, not the machine-generated ones.

Cheers,
David.