Re: config question re ff history etc

On Thu 09 May 2019 at 16:26:10 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2019 12:51:24 pm Curt wrote:
>
> > On 2019-05-09, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > I have a need to transfer all the prefs -"saved logins" from a
> > > wheezy install to a stretch install, separate drives.  And obviously
> > > the stretch firefox is about 20 versions newer. What file do I copy
> > > from the wheezy drive to the stretch drive so my bank knows its me?
> >
> > I believe you need the following *two* files:
> >
> >  key4.db
> >  logins.json
>
> Couldn't find it, so I ran updateb with the old drive mounted.
>
> key4.db shows up in several places, but it looks like the one I might
> want is one of these two:
>
> this one as its the biggest by quite a bit
> /home/gene/.mozilla/firefox/73t2g4uq.default/key4.db except its on this
> drive? But copying it over from the old drive didn't seem to do a thing,
> and neither did copying logins.json. Firefox  has changed a lot since
> wheezy.

Well, it wouldn't unless you change profiles.ini in the same directory
to point at the correct path as the default.

Alternatively, assuming you've run FF on the new system (which it
sounds like you have), you can swap the names of the two directories
(one from the old system with all your stuff in it, one created on
the new system which you can eventually delete).

$ ls -l .mozilla/firefox/
total 16
drwxr-sr--  4 flash flash 4096 Mar 25 08:50 Crash Reports
drwxr-sr-- 21 flash flash 4096 May  9 14:29 jzq80501.default
drwxr-sr--  2 flash flash 4096 Sep  9  2018 Pending Pings
-rw-r--r--  1 flash flash   94 Sep 16  2009 profiles.ini
$ cat .mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=jzq80501.default

$

You can see that this user (a non-financial one) has had its profile,
named jzq80501, for ten years. It's been copied from system to system
as each machine has had its period of being the one I sit in front of.
So there are now five copies in various stages of evolution on five
machines: two desktops and three laptops.

Cheers,
David.