Re: Speed Problem Copying Files

On Thursday 09 May 2019 10:28:10 am Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2019, at 15:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > ... and its one of the reasons
> > an SSD seems so much faster because they seek in a microsecond
>
> In what sense does an SSD have "seek time"?     Seek time is
> a tightly defined thing.
>
> There must be delays in SSD firmware's processing, I suppose, but
> it isn't seek time.
>
> Also, I wonder how you can say that that delay is a microsecond long?

IDK for sure, but its just a rewrite of it data pointer, si I use
microsecond to connote the instant factor.

> Which manuafacturer, which product, what level of firmware?

I have a mixture of kinston and adata SSD's here, all in the basic 40 to
60 Gb sizes, and working lots faster than spinning rust. For most of
what I do with those machines, a 20 Gb drive is more than enough.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)