Re: Speed Problem Copying Files

Quoting Lothar Schilling (2019-05-09 10:49:32)
> for years I have used CentOS for our server landscape. Now I decided
> to give Debian a try.

Welcome to Debian!

I sincerely hope you will appreciate Debian.

> I just set up a Stretch 9.8 system supposed to become our main backup
> server. So I set up a backup job wih rsync. But the going is really
> very very slooooow. Trying to figure out what's happening:
>
>   * iperf -c [host] => bandwith almost 1000 Mbit, that's fine.
>   * dd if=/dev/zero of=/daten/testfile bs=1G count=10 oflag=direct =>
>     10737418240 Bytes (11 GB, 10 GiB) kopiert, 40,4992 s, 265 MB/s, so
>     that's fine as well
>
> But whenever I try to rsync, cp or scp - whether copy files on the local
> hard disk only or over the network - speed goes down to 500 kB/s.
>
> Filesystem is ext4.
>
> I don't have any clue about what's going on. Any kind of help would be
> appreciated, thank you!

Is _only_ transfer speed affected?

I am no expert in this, but imagine that if you rsync massive amounts
involving hardlinks then memory becomes a problem too.

Perhaps run atop to monitor bottlenecks live

 - Jonas