Re: Testing netinstall, but use stable release?

Hi Andy

On 08/05/19, Andy Smith (andy@strugglers.net) wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:32:43PM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> > Is there a clever way of downgrading the installation to stable while
> > keeping the testing kernel and associated ixgbe module?
>
> If you run the daily netinst in expert mode doesn't it let you
> pick the release you want to install?
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_install_sid_.28unstable.29_with_DebianInstaller.3F
>
>     Start the installation in expert mode. After selecting a mirror
>     you will be asked which distribution to install: stable, testing
>     or unstable. We recommend using a daily build of the installer
>     to install testing or unstable.

Thanks for the great info. I thought I recalled something like that.

I downloaded debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso on 29 April but having
just tested this I'm not getting a choice of distribution. I'm in expert
mode (console) -- perhaps I'll try again on the graphical version.

> However, I think while this might run the netinst with a kernel and
> ixgbe module that works for you, it may install a kernel and module
> from stable, which apparently does not. So you may need to find a
> way to get the right kernel+module on there before you do the final
> reboot into your new install.

Good point. I'll see if I can switch to another console and do some
quick tweaking of the source listings and apt-pinning. At least I'll
have a build environment with which to compile the ixgbe modules, if the
worst comes to the worst.

Thanks for your comments.
Rory