Re: mkfs problem (half resolved)

Le 10/03/2019 à 21:58, Pierre Frenkiel a écrit :
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Le 10/03/2019 à 19:50, Pierre Frenkiel a écrit :
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

In current versions of Debian, /etc/mtab should be a symlink to /proc/mounts.

   on my laptop, mtab is actually a link to ../proc/self/mounts

/proc/mounts is actually a symlink to /proc/self/mounts.

   but on my desktop, it is a file, God knows why.

Was your desktop initially installed with a rather older Debian version and upgraded ?

   it has been installed with Lenny, which is now an old version, but was
   at that time the current one...
   and then upgrade to Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch

I do not remember which version installed /etc/mtab as a symlink, but during the upgrade from the previous version it was offered to replace the regular file with a symlink. Maybe you answered "no" and /etc/mtab remained a regular file. Well, you can still replace it by hand now.