Re: Laptop still extremely slow after replacing msata ssd and putting old one back

On 3/4/19 12:21 PM, hdv@gmail wrote:
On 04/03/2019 16.14, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
On 04.03.2019 19:40, hdv@gmail wrote:
On 04/03/2019 15.36, Ric Moore wrote:
On 3/4/19 9:19 AM, hdv@gmail wrote:
ame day, no old image was used.
Right, but if you didn't use a "clean install" more than likely an old
configuration might be at fault. I don't have an SSD but during the install
process, wouldn't that drive be re-formatted?? Trouble shooting with a shotgun. Ric

Maybe, but that would only account for the trouble with the new SSD. As I wrote,
the old SSD was never changed at all. Nor was the BIOS. The system ran fine
before I took that SSD out. You'd expect the system to run fine when putting it
back in.

Grx HdV

Unless you didn't performed a reboot in a long time or\and used hibernation.

Could have been the case. But I have rebooted the laptop before replacing the
SSD to look at the BIOS settings. So in this case this was not so.

I'm just throwing suggestions blindly, because things could go wrong in many
ways if poking inside laptop case is involved.

Indeed.

Do you have another drive installed in this laptop in tray caddy, perhaps, or in
second drive slot if it is available?

Nope.

How much RAM your laptop have? Does it all detected by BIOS\OS?

There is 8GB of RAM and it is all detected. Both before and after this mess.

It is possible you have damaged some passive parts around SATA connector during
drive swap procedures. Inspect that location with magnifying glass for possible
damage to small SMD elements and inspect SATA connector itself for possible
cracks in solder joints.

I did think of hardware damage myself as well, but my inspection did not show
any visible damage. Not that that says all, but at least it is an indicator.

If everything is ok, it wouldn't hurt to insert and remove drive into SATA
connector multiple times just to ensure all contact pads in connector have a
good contact.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this too. Alas, without any improvement. You
could say I am at a loss...

Also show us SMART information for both SSD drives:
     $ sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda

Or, back up what you can (but no /home or /etc user/system configs) then install *CLEAN* reformatting everything. OR, do a live install desktop and see how that runs before the installation. If it's good, nuke everything and do a clean formatted install. Best not to copy the old /home or /etc back. Trouble shooting again with a shotgun and waving my hands hovery hovery.<ZOT!> Ric