Re: Bash file to variable string problem -- must be simple. What am I missing?

On Sun 03 Mar 2019 at 08:43:28 (+0100), Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> if spaces are involved, then quotation marks hould be put around the
> argument of "echo".

Yep. But I guess we're solving Problem A, the subject line's
reported paradox (which was never actually demonstrated),
rather than Problem B, which wasn't revealed until the
OP's follow-up.

Letting the shell parse and reparse is rarely a good idea
and can lead to quoting hell, necessitating a visit to one
of Greg's wikis.

Cheers,
David.