Re: firefox does not redirect to login page

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 06:39:14 -0800
Charlie Kravetz <charlie@keepingdreams.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 15:24:43 +0100
> Flo <debianflo@gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> I have an old laptop which I set up yesterday. And since it's
>> old I only install the packages I need.
>>
>> Today I realized that I cannot login into an public hotspot.
>>
>> Up to now it worked in a way that I got redirected to the login page
>> where I had to click on the connect button. This does not happen now.
>>
>> It just says it cannot find the webpage.
>>
>> What package is necessary to make firefox able to redirect me to the
>> login page? What do I need to install?
>
> I had that issue with the latest firefox this weekend. I stayed at a
> hotel, and firefox would not redirect. I finally had to enter the
> url for the hotel login myself. Then firefox allowed the login.

A captive portal cannot redirect HTTPS requests.  I went around this
merry-go-round for some time before I figured it out.  What you need
is to go to a URL that won't redirect to HTTPS.  When I'm trying to
use a public hotspot, I go to a URL that I know won't redirect.
The captive portal kicks in, I do my login, and away I go.

A motel I stayed in last week actually had a note in their information
package telling Apple users to go to the motel's own home page (which
doesn't use HTTPS) before trying to do anything else.  So it's a known
problem - and one which the Evil Empire's browsers apparently manage
to circumvent somehow.

I'm using Seamonkey, BTW.

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)