Re: (Stuck! Fresh 9.6 install) iwlwifi-8625-26.ucode <- Can not find/what is it? Spot of help please?

On Mon 11 Feb 2019 at 17:46:19 (-0500), deb wrote:
> [ Peter wrote: ]
> > A suggestion, especially when installing on unfamiliar hardware, is
> to download the firmware archive for your platform and unpack it into
> a directory named firmware
>
> I hear you on this @Peter^
>
> I guess I'm kinda with Debian, in that I really want to know which
> non-free bits are being added in.
>
> Providing a directory with EVERYTHING in there for it to be
> auto-loaded everywhere scares me.
>
> @Étienne -- I'll try the -22.ucode alone one next -- but your warning
> on not using 9.7 strikes home.
>
> I'm going to do that next  ... getting the 9.7 .iso going, that is.

I don't know how it works in the graphical install, but with text you
can see log messages scroll by on VC4, and/or get a shell on VC2 or 3
to examine it at /var/log/syslog. (At the end of the installation, it
gets copied to /var/log/installer/syslog on the new system.)

grep 'firmware'    on this file will show exactly what's been loaded.
If you're concerned, you could put just those pieces of firmware onto
a USB stick and then throw that installation away and start over.
(I read that you're doing that anyway, because of the apt bug.)

BTW sometimes the installation will succeed even without the firmware
being present (where it just enhances the functionality of the device).
It might not work for your case.

Cheers,
David.