Re: Stretch to buster

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 07:48:00 +0000
Paul Sutton <zleap@disroot.org> wrote:

> On 09/02/2019 02:22, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> >
> > On 2/8/19 11:09 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> >> Why?  Buster is still alpha.  A lot can still go wrong.  Hope it's not
> >> your primary use distro.
> > Why?: 1. migrate now, or later this year when Buster is the new Stable.
> > 2. Newer features. Mate 1.20 is great, so is 1.16 but there have been
> > several "new shiny things" I like.
> >
> > alpha? maybe so: Been using Buster on one machine for 6 months or a
> > year, no issues... none that lasted more than the next update anyway.
> > The last couple months zip.
> >
> > I have other distros available on the machines. My data is always
> > accessible.

> >> With testing, dist-upgrade is the recommended upgrade procedure. That
> >> would be 'full-upgrade' with apt, if memory serves.  Read the
> >> manual for why.
> >
> > my procedure was dead simple:
> >
> > using Pluma:
> > edit both /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/base.list
> > > replace stretch with buster
> >
> > using Synaptic: refresh and update ... took about an hour.
> >
> > reboot and all was good

> >> Well I think that's because Debian's alphas are everybody else's betas
> >> or better.
> > true that! packages have to be in pretty good shape to get to the
> > Buster repo
> > excellent vetting process
> >
> > I have a spare netbook, which was running stretch, not really being used
> > for much as I have my main desktop / netbook for general use / work.
> > However why not upgrade and test.  I am sure given the comments to this
> > thread with regard to no problems etc is of great comfort to the
> > developers.
> >
> > I can't do much,  as I am probably not technical enough.  I can run the
> > update commands,  and see what happens,  I have an idea on how to pipe
> > these messages to a file.  This can be shared and hopefully be useful.
> >
> > If I share issues here others may be able to say if they have the same
> > issue.  For the most part we can discuss the experiences here and
> > confirm issues.
> >
> > The about myself tool still comes up with 'unknown error' when trying to
> > apply changes.
> >
> > xfce menu -> debian - applications -> system - administration - about myself
> >
> > enter info - apply - password - unknown error
> >

> > Paul

Thanks to both Paul & Peter for their dist-upgrade reasons -- some
practical, others "bright shiny new toy."

As for me, I'm the patient, very practical type.  Debian is my distro
of choice after almost 20 years of using other Linuxes because of its
philosophy of stability and bug-freeness above all else. I'll wait
until Buster is in Release Candidate status before testing it in a VM.
Normally, I wouldn't bother since I usually only upgrade every other
release after LTS ceases on my primary install.  But this time, Buster
includes support for AMD's Ryzen APU series which a notebook I'm
considering purchasing around summertime uses.

Thanks, again.  You never can have too much info. ;-)