Re: Adding/modifying users under MATE DE

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 08:21:40PM -0700, Thomas D Dial wrote:
> When in doubt about questions like this it often is helpful to consult
> man pages, which often are available on the Web if you don't want to
> install the necessary packages that includes them. In this case, if sudo
> is installed, the man page for sudo also will be there, probably along
> with those for sudoers and visudo, although I could be wrong about the
> last.

The sudoers(5) man page is ridiculously complex, as is the format of
the /etc/sudoers file.  For 99% of Debian users, it's also completely
unnecessary to know it.  Just make sure your primary user account is in
the sudo group, and you will be able to run ANY command with sudo, being
prompted for your password if you haven't used sudo on that terminal
in the last few minutes.

You only need to learn this incredibly byzantine file syntax if you want
to do something fancier than that.