Re: Wine and versions

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 07:53:54PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> According to WineHQ the latest version of wine is 4.x however the
> version I have here seems to be wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2)
>
> is this the debian version number or is the version in the debian
> repositories out of date.  Maybe I have missed something in the version
> numbering.

You must be running stretch/stable.  Here are the available versions:

https://packages.debian.org/src:wine

It looks like buster has 4.0-1 available, as does stretch-backports.
If you are not yet ready to upgrade to Buster, then stretch-backports is
the way to go.

In case you need some more information on backports:

https://wiki.debian.org/Backports

Regards,

-Roberto

--